Are you interested in opening a frozen yogurt shop? The frozen yogurt business is still a growing and vital market, and there is definitely room for entrepreneurs looking for their niche! If you are willing to work hard and devote your time to growing your business, a frozen yogurt store can be the business of your dreams. Before you open your new yogurt shop, here are some important questions you need to answer.
- What is your business plan? A detailed business plan is essential for any business to succeed. In addition to being required by outside investors, a clear and realistic business plan will make sure your business stays on the right path. A plan should consist of a description of the yogurt shop, mission statement, start-up and monthly overhead costs, sales goals, and projected first year profits. Figure out the per unit price you need to charge to meet overhead and remain profitable. If you need help formulating your plan, there are many books and on-line resources to help you.
- Franchise or independent? There are benefits to both options. Which is best for you depends on your level of experience, the amount of capital you have or can obtain, and local market conditions. A franchise brings a wealth of experience and name-recognition; an independent shop has lower start-up costs and offers you more flexibility in designing your ideal business.
- Where is the best location? Smart site selection is one of the biggest factors of your success! An ideal location provides easy access, visibility, and the foot traffic that frozen yogurt businesses rely on. Make sure the overhead allows for a realistic pricing model. Find out how many competitors are nearby- too many competitors can kill your profit margin.
- Is everything legal? Make sure you have all the necessary business permits required by state and local government. Your business needs to meet all the local health and food safety regulations and pass inspection prior to opening. You may need to employ a certified food handler to comply with local regulations.
- Do customers know you are open? Let everyone know you are open for business! Call your local newspaper – many do stories on new business openings. Advertise on local radio stations and hold a grand opening. Use social media websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Yelp! to attract customers.
When it is time to purchase equipment for your new frozen yogurt shop make sure to check out Calypso’s worry-free point of sale systems software. Calypso’s turn-key package for the frozen yogurt business contains everything you need to get started. With integrated scales our yogurt shop POS system is easy for your employees to use. Calypso’s turn-key package uses an easy to learn touchscreen interface with integrated credit card processing. Optional tracking of recipes, inventory and ingredients is helpful for new owners as well as established entrepreneurs. Managing staff is a breeze when you use Calypso’s yogurt point of sale system with employee time clock and labor scheduling. Contact Calypso today at 800-771-7100 to get started!