Are you ready for the hard work and great rewards of being a small business owner? Then now is the perfect time for you to open a frozen yogurt shop!
These stores are one of the easier small businesses to start, even for potential entrepreneurs who do not have a lot of restaurant experience. Follow these ten steps to open a frozen yogurt shop of your own!
1. Create a Business Plan You need to draw up a business plan to gain a complete overview of every aspect of your type of restaurant and local business conditions and to demonstrate to lenders or partners that you have a workable strategy for your restaurant’s success. Your business plan should contain:
- Detailed description of yogurt shop
- Mission statement
- Analysis of local market for frozen yogurt shops
- List of start-up and monthly costs
- Projected sales goals
- Pricing of your products
- Marketing plan
Present the business plan to private investors and/or banks to secure financial backing or loans for your frozen yogurt shop.
2. Formalize and Register Your Company How do you want to structure your company – as a limited liability company, corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship? Register with the state, apply for a sales tax number from the Department of Revenue, and go online to IRS.gov to apply for an employer tax identification number (EIN).
3. Choose Your Location The ideal location for a frozen yogurt shop should have heavy foot traffic, proximity to restaurants, movie theaters, etc., ample parking, and sufficient room for seating.
4. Pick Your Mix Formulate your own recipe or choose a mix for your frozen yogurt. Mixes come in both liquid and powdered form; do taste tests and pick your favorite. Decide which toppings you will offer, and compare vendors’ terms and pricing. Once you have settled on vendors, establish credit and future delivery schedules.
5. Equip Your Establishment Find the frozen yogurt machines that work best with your mix; shop around for the best prices on all your equipment and supplies. You will need to order:
- Frozen Yogurt Machines
- Topping Containers
- Drink Machine
- Frozen Yogurt POS system
- Integrated Scales
- Consumables: Treat Cups, Spoons, Napkins, Drink Cups
- Frozen Yogurt Mixes, Toppings, Sauces
6. Design Your Décor Let your creative side out! What feel do you want for your shop? Bright and airy, or cozy and welcoming? The latest trend in frozen yogurt shops has been a turn from traditional ice cream parlor décor to embrace a hipper coffeehouse vibe, offering comfortable seating, Wi-Fi, and even musical performances.
7. Get Permits & Licenses Apply for whatever small business and health department permits are required in your area.
8. Begin Marketing Early Start marketing your shop the month before you open. Send out flyers and postcards to your neighbors, local colleges and businesses; contact local print and radio media to feature stories about your store; create a visually interesting website; use social media like Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter to generate buzz about your upcoming shop; and place your business on FourSquare and other location-based services once you open.
9. Hire Your Staff Try to hire employees with previous frozen yogurt shop or retail store experience. Train employees fully before opening day.
10. Grand Opening Day! This is your opportunity to be noticed! Advertise heavily leading up to the day; provide special discounts, raffle drawings, live music, face painting, balloon animals, and need other entertainments at the grand opening to attract as many people as possible to your shop.
To ensure your success, you need an affordable frozen yogurt point of sale system with an easy to learn touch screen interface and integrated credit card processing. Calypso’s yogurt shop POS reads the yogurt weight from the scale automatically, reducing employee errors by eliminating the need to re-key weights manually. With Tare Weights Calypso’s POS system with scale reduces the weight by the weight of the cup and can configure multiple cup sizes. Contact Calypso today at 800-771-7100 to discover more ways Calypso can help your yogurt shop become a huge success!