Are you interested in opening your own juice bar? One of the first steps to knowing how to open a juice bar is learning which equipment to choose. The equipment requirements for juice bars are far less than for most food service establishments, but it is still important to research and choose wisely. Making careful decisions can make the difference between a wildly successful juice bar and one that struggles and ultimately fails. To get started on the right track, use this juice bar equipment list to make sure you have everything you need.
Blenders – You will need heavy-duty commercial blenders. Look for ones with:
- Sound reduction hoods
- Rugged design – to stand up to high output usage
- Comprehensive warranty– blenders will inevitably need repairs, and the expense of repeated repairs can hurt your bottom line. Look for a warranty that guarantees repairs with genuine factory parts, covers labor, has no cycle restrictions, and covers:
- Motor-base for 3 years
- Sound enclosure for 3 years
- Jar for 1 year
- Blade for 1 year
- Drive socket for 3 years
Juicers – There are three types of professional juicers from which to choose:
- Centrifugal Juicers – the fastest juicers, their motors run between 3,000RPM to 14,000RPM. They are the least expensive juicers, ideal for limited budgets.
- Masticating Juicers (single gear juicers) – produce is broken down slowly and thoroughly; juice yield and nutritional value is higher than that of a centrifugal juicer. Very quiet.
- Triturating Juicers (twin gear juicers) – the elite of juice extractors, they squeeze almost every drop of juice at a very slow speed, producing a higher yield with less oxidation. Perfect for wheat grass and leafy greens juicing.
Refrigeration – If you have a large juice bar, you may need a small walk-in to store your fresh produce. Juice bars that prepare the juice in the front of house will need a front cooler as well. The size/volume of your juice bar will determine which unit is best for you:
- Refrigerated Prep Counter
Ice Machine – If you decide to offer smoothies, you will need an ice machine. While it is possible to use a cubed ice machine, a flaked ice machine is your best choice, creating a smooth, uniform consistency that stays frozen longer.
Sinks – Have a hand sink and a prep sink near your juicing station as well as near your prep area.
Dishwasher – While a very small juice bar can make do with a simple sink area, an undercounter dishwasher is recommended for most juice bars. Consider purchasing a Rapid Rinser; it can speed service in your juice bar by cleaning blenders in two-thirds the time it takes to manually wash them, while reducing employee exposure to harsh sanitizers.
Prep Equipment – Fruit and vegetable prep tools: peelers, cutlery, cutting boards, portion scales, and measuring cups
Point of Sale System – Choosing the right juice bar point of sale is one of the most important equipment decisions you will make. Make sure your juice bar POS system offers:
- Quick Speed of Service
- Labor Management
- Inventory Management
- Integrated scales
- Barcode scanning
- Loss prevention technology
- Marketing support
Calypso is the perfect POS for juice bars! As the most affordable juice bar POS in the industry, Calypso has all the features juice bars need including simple, department driven menus that speed service, facilitate labor scheduling, an employee time clock, and robust inventory management features. An optional DVS system can be seamlessly integrated with Calypso’s juice bar point of sale, providing comprehensive loss protection that allows you to monitor transactions at any time, from anywhere. Contact Calypso today at 800-771-7100 for the best juice bar POS available!